I’ve been working with food all day. Cleaning dishes, pickling snap peas (yum! perfect with egg salad), and making room for the huge box of organic veggies just delivered!
I’ve also had a craving for french fries all day. Strange huh? I have a fridge full of healthy, fresh, vegetables, and all I want are greasy, heart clogging bites of starch? What’s wrong with me? Did I hit my head at the gym?
Two pounds of green beans came with my mystery box today. I love fresh green beans, and they are totally in season right now. I saw purple and white beans at the market last week! The colors were striking, and fresh salads danced in my mind. I never know what to do with green beans. I remember plucking the ends at my grandma’s house, and boiling them, then drenching them in butter before eating them when I was a kid.
I totally grew up in a boiled vegetable house. I can’t stand boiled veggies these days, and I don’t slather them in butter like I did as a child.
While researching green bean recipes, I couldn’t find anything truly exciting. I all of sudden had a flashback to my days in Philadelphia. I used to frequent a bar called Grace Tavern. They had blackened green beans on their menu. My philly friends would order them instead of fries. They were delicious, and spicy, and served with a spicy sauce on the side.
I decided to re-create them, and share the recipe with you. These are a perfect side dish to veggie burgers, sandwiches, and very bbq friendly. Your friends won’t even realize they are super healthy, because they are just so tasty and crisp.
One more thing: Do you have any delicious green bean recipes? Please let me know!
Cajun Green Bean Fries and a Dilly Yogurt Cucumber Dip
Ingredients for Cajun Green Beans:
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 3 Tbsp. plus ¾ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1½ tsp. dried mustard
- ½ lb. fresh green beans
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Mix all dried herbs in a bowl. (this will make enough for 4-5 1/2 pound servings).
- Wash and trim beans, remove ends.
- Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes, or until bright green.
- Immerse in ice cold water.
- Heat coconut oil in fry pan, and toss in green beans, stir, and add 1/4 of seasoning.
- Stir until well coated.
Ingredients for yogurt dip:
- 3 Tbsp plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cucumber chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh dill
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
- Mix all ingredients together, and serve with green bean fries!